Monday 13 June 2011

ROBERT BREER @ Baltic

ROBERT BREER 11 June 2011 - 25 September 2011

The Baltic is always a must when visiting the northern city of Newcastle, a vast building on the south bank of the River Tyne, yet still in the shadows of the steel magnificence of the"Tyne Bridge" and the contemporary  silver bullet taht is The Sage.

Robert Breer takes you from abstract to reality in a breathtaking fashion - Maybe shock really. I get the abstract to reality piece but really sometimes contemporary art does not sit well with me -  I see the strength of his cinematography and how that impacts his work, but some of the artefacts on display I do notsee the same link. In the vastness of the exhibition hall there was a scrunched up piece of golden foil - I am not sure of this, OK it was not foil. Another artefact being the hedgehog like sponge- yes I can see within maybe the interpretation of art or am I confusing it with the skill in the making? Yes, that was clearly visible but on background of the light wooden floor I was not sure.

The white dome shape objects and the abstract paintings all left a mark, they certainly opened the mind to let in a different thought process.

I enjoyed the visit and it is always refreshing to let your mind wander.....Art, it is all good stuff.......... Recommend a visit 7 from 10.  RLJ

 


No comments:

Post a Comment