Thursday 23 June 2011

Broadgate, City of London, EC2

Broadgate is an office and retail estate in the City of London which is the centre of some controversy at the moment over whether it should be listed. I quite like Broadgate, especially Broadgate Circle which reminds me of a picture I saw once of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, but I do wonder about the wisdom of the listing. I agree with the idea of listing buildings that are seen as outstanding examples of their time. As a member of English Heritage and The Twentieth Century Society I should support this listing I suppose. But an office complex I'm not sure about. The Twentieth Century Society believe the ongoing vitality of the City rests on it retaining and valuing the best buildings of all periods of its construction.  The business world believe exactly the opposite. I suppose you pay your money and take your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment