Thursday 21 July 2011

Richter – Cage Paintings at Tate Modern

Richter’s large Cage paintings are named after avant-garde musician John Cage. Produced by overlaying and scraping back paint they seem to shimmer as you look at them. To be honest they always put Husker Du’s searing New Day Rising album in my head rather than Cage’s music but thats probably just me.
I enjoy Richter’s paintings but I also love his views/outlook as well. Suspicious of ideologies and any claim to absolute truth he states ‘I don’t know what I want, I am inconsistent, non-committal, passive, I like the indefinite, the boundless, I like continual uncertainty’. These views help keep his work interesting. As most of the world’s problems are caused by political & religious fundamentalists who see the world in black and white and claim to have knowledge of absolute truth he is a refreshing change.


No comments:

Post a Comment