Wednesday 8 May 2013

Gert & Uwe Tobias - Whitechapel Art Gallery

Gert & Uwe Tobias are identical twins born in Transylvania, Romania in 1973, they moved to Germany in 1985, aged 12. I found this exhibition hard to catagorise in my mind, I couldn't even work out if I liked it at first. It's in one galley of the Whitechapel and I just kept wandering round and round trying to work it out, wanting to look and re-look but not wanting to leave. It draws on modernist geometric abstraction which is what I was first drawn to and maybe some communist influence from their early life which I also find interesting but there's also something kinda surrealist about the works I think. The Tobias' work in various mediums from drawing to ceramics, they make huge canvas' and also many smaller works, often using the print of a typewriter...you have to see it really. I've been twice and as I sit here writing this I want to go again, the exhibition runs until 14 June 2013, I recommend you see it if you can and even better it's free to get in!



No comments:

Post a Comment