Sunday 23 October 2011

Degas and the Ballet: Picturing Movement

Royal Academy – until 11th December 2011 
I’m not entirely sure how well he captures the “movement” bit, I don’t know who can, but you can’t complain about misrepresentation on the “ballet” bit – there are dancers everywhere in this huge exhibition.
Degas did produce some quite stunningly beautiful paintings and sculptures, and you have to believe that almost all of them are here. For a show of this size, such a narrow focus might be a risk, but it kept my interest throughout.
There are many lesser-known pieces, brought from all over the world, and some fascinating insights into the techniques that Degas employed in an attempt to capture the movement of dance.
Actually, I don’t think he really did represent the energy of the dance itself, but I still think his work is lovely and well known pieces are around every corner.
If there is a criticism it is exactly that – Degas is so well known that it could be a little like an Athena shop (just showing my age). Personal preference would be for a little more biographical background – and maybe more passion. I’m assuming the guy had his share of trials and tribulations but maybe “angry ballet” pictures didn’t sell.
I would recommend the show without reserve, but I’ll be back for “Degas – the crack years” just to balance the sweetness.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment